Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Don Imus and His Way with Women

I hesitate to add one more piece to the approximately 16,000 other blog posts regarding Don Imus' remarks concerning the Rutger's University Women's BasketBall Team. I'll quickly recap the salient points below:


IMUS: That's some rough girls from Rutgers. Man, they got tattoos and --



McGUIRK: Some hard-core hos.


IMUS: That's some nappy-headed hos there. I'm gonna tell you that now, man, that's some -- woo. And the girls from Tennessee, they all look cute, you know, so, like -- kinda like -- I don't know.


McGUIRK: A Spike Lee thing.



...ROSENBERG: It was a tough watch. The more I look at Rutgers, they look exactly like the Toronto Raptors.



As I've read about and watched all the coverage given to these remarks, I've been wondering what Jill Carroll must be thinking. Jill, I'm sure you'll recall, was held captive in Iraq for almost 3 months before she was released. After her release, she gave an interview to Iraqi television praising her kidnappers as good men. Later it was revealed that she gave this interview as a condition of her release and because she feared she would be killed if she refused.

But that's not a good enough reason for Don Imus' morning crew! Let's check out their comments regarding Ms. Carroll (via Think Progress):

MCGUIRK: She strikes me as the kind of woman who would wear one of those suicide vests. You know, walk into the, try and sneak into the Green Zone.

IMUS: Oh, no. No, no, no, no.

MCCORD: Just because she always appears in traditional Arab garb and wearing a burka.

MCGUIRK: Yeah, what’s with the head gear? Take it off. Let’s see.

IMUS: No, no. This is not –

MCCORD: That’s why the Arab world called for her to be released, because, you know, she defended Iraqis. She was against the war in Iraq and, I wouldn’t be surprised if —

IMUS: Well, so are we. So am I!

MCCORD: Exactly. She cooked with them, lived with them.

IMUS: This is not helping.

MCGUIRK: She may be carrying Habib’s baby at this point.

[laughter]

IMUS: Shut up! I’m begging you to shut up. Both of you. I’m going to murder both of you.

MCCORD: Just because she slept with them doesn’t mean she slept in the manner he’s talking about.

MCGUIRK: Something stinks.

There's more at Think Progress including a video of the whole thing. In his defense, this time Imus seems to be trying to rein in his cohorts. I guess their bad behavior rubbed off on him rather than the othe way around. At any rate, since he's giving out apologies any place he can, I think somebody owes Jill Carroll one.

No comments: